Monday, March 30, 2009

Banana Crunch Muffins

All the food I write about I usually think is pretty good, but these banana crunch muffins are truly the most scrumptious treats I know how to make. In fact, I would say if you recreate one thing on this blog - bake these. This is an Ina Garten (from Barefoot Contessa) recipe - so you know it is good and fattening. Click here for her original recipe.

The muffins have a few steps to them and a lot of ingredients (hence why it always takes me a while to get around to making them - I never have all the ingredients at once). First off, it requires bananas - two which need to be extremely ripe (think black peel). You have to think about this in advance. I let my bananas ripen for a week. I have heard if you put an apple with the bananas in a paper bag they will ripen more quickly, but I have never tried it. The third banana can be a normal yellow peel. Besides bananas you add shredded sweetened coconut, granola, and walnuts to complete the sweet party in your mouth.


Here are the ingredients for 18 muffins:
-3 cups all-purpose flour
-2 cup sugar
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/2 pound unsalted butter (2 sticks), melted and cooled
-2 extra-large eggs
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-3/4 cup whole milk
-1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
-1 cup granola (your choice - I used Oats and Honey Granola by Cascadian Farm)
-1 cup walnuts, small dice
-2 very ripe bananas, mashed
-1 banana, medium dice
-Banana chips, shredded sweetened coconut, granola, and walnuts are optional as a garnish

Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and lining your muffin tin with baking cups.
Melt butter either on the stove or in the microwave and set aside to cool (although I don't think it has to be completely cool).
Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
Use a hand mixer to mix melted butter with the flour mixture. Mix until well combined, it will have a sandy texture.
Mash your two ripe bananas and mix with eggs, milk and vanilla.

Add to flour and butter mixture and mix to combine.
Chop walnuts and last banana.
Fold walnuts, banana, coconut, and granola into batter.
Spoon batter to the top of each muffin cup.
Top with granola, coconut, walnuts and a banana chip. This is all optional, but I recommend you do it so your presentation matches the taste of the muffins!
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean (mine took 30 minutes). Let cool for a bit and then remove from tin. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container or freeze in freezer bag for later.
Note: I made these muffins right after listening to the history of the very political banana on The Splendid Table podcast and felt a little guilty. Click here to listen.

1 comment:

  1. Hi...
    Thank you for sharing such a nice recipe. I would love this item. I am giving a party to my friends this weekend at my farmhouse. I was wondering about some new item to treat my friends with. I will surely try this and let you know.
    abnehmen tipps

    ReplyDelete