Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tortilla Soup in a Flash

Sometimes when I get home from work I am really tempted to ordered something in. When I give into temptation, I end up with a mediocre meal that just leaves me with a stomach ache and greasy Styrofoam. Now, when I feel that urge I think about the simple recipe of Black Bean Tortilla Soup. I found this soup in Everyday Food a month ago, tried it out, and have made it a few times since. Besides being quick, hearty, and great leftovers, the best part about the soup is that I usually have a lot of the ingredients in my cupboard. The recipe calls for chicken broth, but I use vegetable and I add a lot more lime than it calls for because it really freshens up the soup.

Here is my version:
-2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes (with juice)
-2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans (drained and rinsed)
-Half a bag of frozen corn kernels (16 ounces)
-2 cups vegetable stock (I used Better Than Bouillon)
-4 cloves garlic - minced
-1 teaspoon chili powder
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 cup crushed tortilla chips, plus more for garnish
-1 lime (half in the soup, other half for garnish)
-Salt and pepper to taste

To begin, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook garlic and chili powder until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add tomatoes, corn, beans, broth and one cup of water. Add salt and pepper here.
Bring soup to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Add tortilla chips and cook for about 2 minutes or until the chips have softened. Juice half the lime and then serve.
You can add more chips and a slice of lime to the soup as a garnish. The recipe is so simple and quick, it has become a regular addition to my work week routine.

For the original version, click here.

1 comment: