Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Doughnut Plant

Friday - on my day off, I woke up early than I do for work so I could make it down to Clinton Street Baking Company as soon as they open (which is 8:00 am). As I made my way to their door I noticed a sign that said "On July 3rd we will be serving brunch starting at 10:00 am." I was furious! I had checked the website the night before and there was no such notice about the special holiday schedule. I paced the block trying to decide what to do, when my friend and I remembered The Doughnut Plant in the area.

I first heard of The Doughnut Plant on the Food Network show "Throw Down with Bobby Flay." Although The Doughnut Plant's founder, Mark Isreal was a bit of a sourpuss/diva on the show, I couldn't deny that he had inventive flavors and shapes for doughnuts. Mark makes both yeast and cake doughnuts, and is famous for inventing his "Jelly-filled Square Doughnut" which shape prevents the jelly from leaking out the bottom like the typical round doughnut. Mark prides himself on using seasonal ingredients, adding specialty donuts throughout the year. His signature doughnuts include his Tres Leche, the Peanut Butter-Glazed Jelly, and the Black Out.
Peanut Butter-Glazed Jelly Yeast Doughnut (Exterior and Interior)
Tres Leche Cake Doughnut
On this visit, my friend and I got the Tres Leche, Peanut Butter-Glazed Jelly, Blueberry Glazed, and the Glazed Banana Pecan - oh and a chai iced tea. I have to say that I was disappointed in the Blueberry Glazed. Visually it was beautiful, but as for taste - it was really lacking in blueberry flavor. The Glazed Banana Pecan definitely made up for the other doughnut! It was so delicious, I can't even begin to describe. It was like banana bread to the extreme - so tender, banana-y and sweet. The glaze is the perfect topping with small bits of pecan that give it a subtle bite.
Blueberry Glazed Yeast Doughnut
Glazed Banana Pecan Cake Doughnut
If you are down the Lower East Side and want to grab a quick breakfast or just a sweet treat, stop by The Doughnut Plant. Click here to see The Doughnut Plant's website and learn more about how Mark got his start.

Note: The Doughnut Plant is really just a place to pick up doughnuts - there isn't really a seating area besides a thin bar with a couple stools. Fortunately, there are a gazillion pretty places to sit outside in New York, or the doughnuts are easy enough to take with you on the subway to your final destination.

1 comment: