Thursday, October 22, 2009

Flourless Double-Chocolate Pecan Cookies

I miss a lot of things about Lawrence, Kansas, but I particularly miss the choc et choc cookies from Wheatfields. Every time I ate one of their delicious cookies, I would wonder how they made them so someday I could recreate them myself.

Last month, I got my Everyday Food magazine and found a recipe for flourless double-chocolate pecan cookies. Although these cookies aren't the exact version of the choc et choc cookies at Wheatfields, they do trick in New York. I also think that the Wheatfield's cookies use walnuts instead of pecans, but I actually like pecans better anyways. The great thing about these is that they are gluten-free and still delicious. The first time I made these they burned because my oven is crazy (usually 75 degrees off, but on occasion off more with out letting me know). This didn't stop people from eating them up within a day.

Here are the ingredients for Everyday Food September 2009 issue's Flourless Double-Chocolate Pecan Cookies (makes a dozen large cookies):
-3 cups confectioner's sugar
-3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder, spooned and leveled
-1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
-5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
-1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped (you can substitute other nuts or leave them out completely)
-4 large egg whites, room temperature

To begin, preheat oven to 325 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa, and salt.
Chop chocolate and pecans, then stir into flour mixture.
Add egg whites and stir just until incorporated. Don't over mix.
Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls, 3 inches apart, onto baking sheets. Bake until cookie tops are dry and crackled, about 25 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.
Transfer cookies onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
These cookies come out glossy and have a crisp edge with a chewy, meringue-like center. I am definitely going to make them again very soon.

For original recipe, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment