Friday, October 1, 2010

The Best Thing I Had In My Mouth - The Spotted Pig Steamed Mussels & Cockles

A couple weeks ago I was treated to a special dinner at The Spotted Pig.  The Spotted Pig is my favorite restaurant of all time.  I guess it is a bit weird for me to say that, since the restaurant is all about meat, but I love their casual atmosphere, cool-but-not-too-cool staff, and of course their perfectly cooked food.
My friend and I ordered some steamed mussels and cockles.  They were bathed in a spicy tomato broth with a crispy piece of bread hidden at the bottom, soaking up all the spicy brothy goodness.  The bread was so out of this world delicious, that two weeks later I can still imagine the flavor in my mouth.  So as I was researching for this post, double checking exactly what I had at The Spotted Pig, I read on their menu: steamed mussels and cockles and duck fat fried bread.  My jaw dropped, hands over my mouth - duck fat!  Well, even as a vegetarian, this was still the best thing I had in my mouth :)
For my meal, I had the pan roasted striped bass with tomatoes and saffron, and my friend had the popular chargrilled burger with Roquefort cheese and shoestring fries.  I of course, had to get my own mountain of fries, and yes, I pretty much ate them all.  I washed it all down with a cask beer too.  Although, neither of us could barely move, we still managed to waddle over to Magnolia Bakery for some cupcakes.
Besides the cupcakes, Magnolia's most popular items are the banana bread pudding and the double fudge brownie.


My friend's dad made that honey bear - all the way from KS to NY :)

No comments:

Post a Comment