Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Best Thing I Had In My Mouth - Orange Drop Peppernuts

Once again, my friend received some peppernuts from his mom.  I never thought anything could beat the original peppernut, but I was mistaken - a peppernut with orange candy slices can.  Crunchy, chewy, sweet and orangey, it is the perfect holiday snack with a hot cup of tea or just by themselves.  I thought I would share a similar recipe from the Peppernuts Plain and Fancy book.

Mother's Gumdrop Peppernuts from Peppernuts Plain and Fancy:

-3/4 cup shortening
-1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
-1 1/2 cups brown sugar
-3 eggs
-1/2 cup milk or cream
-1 cup chopped nuts
-3/4 pound spiced gumdrops, diced (I would buy orange candy slices)
-3/4 teaspoon baking soda
-3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-4 to 5 cups flours

Cut gumdrops into small pieces with scissors dipped in flour.  Cut onto a plate and dust pieces to keep them from sticking together.  Set aside.

Cream shortening and sugar.  Add eggs, one at a time, followed by milk, gumdrops, and nuts.  Add sifted flour and remaining dry ingredients.  If necessary, add a little extra flour until dough clings together.  Chill overnight or longer.  Roll into 1/2 inch ropes and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.  Bake on greased pan at 375 degrees F for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.  Place cookies into a clean, dry dish towel and let cool.

Enjoy!  Click here to see me making peppernuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment