Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Best Thing I Had In My Mouth - Concord Grapes

Last week I made it down to the Greenmarket for some concord grapes.  These beauties are in season right now, and I love them soooo much.  They are the types of grapes you see in old Baroque paintings.  They are a beautiful purply-blue color with a thin bloom that rubs off.  You don't find them in a lot of grocery stores, because they have large seeds.  They don't bother me too much though, because I love their flavor and jelly-ish texture.  I had fun buying a basket, sitting in the park, and spitting the seeds.  They looked quite picturesque in their wooden baskets with bees buzzing around them at the Stone Arch Farm's booth.  You should definitely stop by your farmers market and give them a try.

1 comment:

  1. My grandmother had concord grape vines in her backyard in Hillsboro. I have memories of making jam. The wonderful smell of the grapes cooking while I stirred. Recently our grocier had some grapes from Calf. that were seedless but close in taste to a concord grape, just maybe not as tart.

    ReplyDelete