Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Guacamole & Jalapeno Sour Cream

Last week I made turkey chili and huevos rancheros (recipe to come soon), and with those meals came a lot of condiments.  I thought I would share the guacamole and jalapeno sour cream recipes from the Clinton St. Baking Company Cookbook.  The guacamole was really fresh and limey.  I would definitely add more jalapeno next time though, because it was not hot at all.  As for the jalapeno sour cream, I didn't try it.  I hate sour cream, and while I was making it, I literally dry heaved.  No joke.  I didn't even take photos because I just wanted to get the thing over with!  I was told it was good though.  The sour cream ends up turning into more of a sauce that goes great on many Mexican dishes.

Ingredients for Guacamole from the Clinton St. Baking Company's Cookbook, make 3 cups:
-4 Hass avocados, soft to the touch, but not mushy
-2 tablespoons lime juice
-3 tablespoons red onion, minced
-3 tablespoons fresh jalapeno (including seeds), minced (I would double that if you want it hotter)
-2 teaspoons salt, preferably kosher
-1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
-1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, loosely packed

To begin, halve the avocados lengthwise and remove the pits.  Scoop out the flesh into a bowl.  Reserve two of the pits for later.  Discard the skins.

Add the lime juice to the avocado.  Use a potato masher or a sturdy whisk to mash the avocado with the juice until the mixture is somewhat chunky, but pureed and pulverized in parts.  Mix in the onion, jalapeno, salt, and pepper with a spoon.

Chop the cilantro leaves and add them to the guacamole.  Adjust the seasoning to taste.  Put the avocado pits back in the guacamole for a rustic look.  It will also keep the avocados from browning (that's cool).  The cookbook also says when storing guacamole, pour 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil on top to prevent discoloration.  Seal the bowl with plastic wrap.


Ingredients for Jalapeno Sour Cream from the Clinton St. Baking Company Cookbook, makes 2 1/2 cups:
-3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, tightly packed
-1/4 cup fresh lime juice
-1 1/2 tablespoons jalapeno (seeds included), minced
-1 clove garlic, finely minced
-2 teaspoons salt
-1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper (I used black pepper - sue me)
-2 cups sour cream

With a blender (I used a food processor, but I halved the recipe) on medium speed, blend together cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, garlic, salt, and pepper, until well combined.  Turn blender off and add sour cream.  Start the blender on low and as the ingredients gradually come together, you can increase the speed.  Adjust the seasoning to taste.

The jalapeno sour cream will keep for one week to ten days in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. I am so grateful that I found this post of yours. . . I had brunch at the Clinton Street Baking Company last week and ordered this dish. WOW... Best Huevos Rancheros ever! I don't own their book yet but I was hoping to rush the purchase because I really wanted this recipe for the jalapenos sour cream and here you have it!! So thank you!! I am going to try it this weekend. The only thing that I find interesting though is that you say to keep the seeds in. I didn't find any seeds in my serving. It was just very smooth and creamy. Is keeping the seeds in it noted in their recipe book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it would hurt if you want to remove the seeds. Keeping them in just makes the recipe a little less fussy.

    ReplyDelete