Thursday, July 21, 2011

CSA Week Six

It is officially delicious fruit season!  I got a lot of little jewels this week, but I will be honest - where the heck are my cherries?  I am dying for them!  Here is what I got from CSA this week:

-Corn
-Fennel
-Dill
-Lettuce
-Basil
-Arugula
-Onion
-Cucumbers
-Zucchini
-Summer squash
-Plums
-Peaches
-Blackberries
-Blueberries
-Eggs
-Zinnias and snapdragons

Last night I got right down to business, and made a few things I could keep for later use.  I am going out of town this weekend with Murray's Cheese on their Summer Whey-cation trip to the Vermont Cheesemaker's Festival.  There are only a few spots left, so if you are interested in joining, click here to check it out!

First, I made some blueberry syrup.  I am planning to use this in some fun cocktails, or on top of pancakes or ice cream.  Just bring to boil 2 cups of blueberries and 1 cup of water.  Once at a boil reduce to a simmer (tiny bubbles here) and cook for 10 minutes.  Place a sieve on top of a bowl, and pour the blueberries and the juices through, and press with a wooden spoon to squish all the blueberry juices out.  Discard the blueberry mush.  Add 1/2 cup sugar and stir until dissolved.  Store in your fridge until happy hour!

Then I made basil syrup.  Just place 2 cups packed basil leaves, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 cup water into a saucepan, and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and cover, let sit for 1 hour.  Pour basil leaves and liquid through a strainer, and store the syrup in the fridge.

I whipped up some pesto with the rest of the basil and froze it for later use.  Then for dinner made kimchi (homemade) dogs and corn on the cob.  I will post about those puppies later!

So this is what I am planning for the rest of the week:

-This amazing Fennel, Fontina, and Onion Pizza.  Yes, please!
-A simple cucumber salad with dill, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt.
-Snacking on the fruit, no baking this week, but if you wanted to do some stovetop work, this looks pretty amazing.
-If you are looking for some other corn recipes, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment