Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Kale Chips

For the past few years I have tried to like kale, but by the time I swallow I am dreading the next bite of it.  Kale is packed with nutrients and antioxidants (click here to read more), so I am always annoyed with myself for not liking it.

So for the past year or two I have noticed a few kale chip recipes popping up in the food blogosphere.  So I thought I would give it a try and hope this would be the end of my kale-loathing days.  The recipe is taken from Smitten Kitchen and is simple enough.  A bunch of kale, some olive oil, sea salt, and I added some red pepper flakes for a little heat.  Twenty minutes later you have kale chips, which sound and look similar to the dried leaves you rake up  in the fall, sans the red color.  I would imagine they even have the same texture if you ate a dead leaf.  But don't get me wrong, these chips are packed with flavor, they still have that green smell and are light and crispy.  So light that they can fly out of your hands and on to the floor, but so good that you still eat it.  Five second rule!  If you are like me about your dark greens I would definitely give this recipe a try.


Some notes on the process:  Make sure all the leaves get coated with olive oil, this will help with the crispness.  Cook one sheet of kale at a time.  I placed two sheets at once and it slowed down the dehydration process and cooked the kale unevenly.

Here is the recipe based on Smitten Kitchen's kale chips:
-1 bunch kale, whatever kind you have
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-sea salt to taste
-red pepper flakes to taste

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Meanwhile remove the center stems and cut into large pieces.  Wash and dry the kale.
Then toss with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper flakes.  Place on a parchment lined sheet (though not necessary) and bake for about 20 minutes until all the kale is dry and crispy.
Let baking sheet cool on a wire rack. Place kale chips in an air tight container if you have any left over :)

Last year around this time I made Strawberry Greek Yogurt Pops - so yummy.  Click here for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment