Saturday, June 12, 2010

CSA - Week One



This past Wednesday was the start of my CSA.  We got a lot of delicious food from the Garden of Eve Farm.  I was so excited to get rhubarb and strawberries!  If you have only had strawberries from the grocery store, please go to the farmer's market this month and pick up some strawberries immediately.  You have not tasted a real strawberry until you taste a local strawberry in season!  The texture and taste are a whole new experience.  They actually taste like strawberries - how crazy is that?  Click here to learn how to properly store strawberries.
Here is what I got:
-Mesclun
-Spinach
-Potatoes (from last winter)
-Turnips
-Scapes
-Cilantro
-Bok Choy
-Strawberries
-Rhubarb
-Dozen eggs

Here is what I have been making:

I made spinach marinara omelettes, inspired by the omelette my sister had at Clinton Street Baking Company.  It was actually the first omelette I have ever made and it really wasn't that hard - thanks to Julia Child's instructions from the Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
I made spinach black bean quesadillas the next night and frozen yogurt with strawberries and granola for dessert.  Click here for the fro yo recipe.
Yesterday I tried to recreate a Chipotle burrito, not quite successful, but still tasty.
Today I am hoping to get around to make Martha Stewart's shortcakes with rhubarb compote and macerated strawberries.  I can't wait to see what I get next week!

Last year around this time, I made quick strawberry jam.  Click here to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment